Monday, January 27, 2014

"Not the End of the Book."

"Not the End of the Book."

By:  Pastor Jack Schneider

“ Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people. ”   [Philemon, v.7, NIV]      
            
Sometimes “Thank You” seems woefully inadequate.

That’s how Carolyn and I feel after the incredible retirement celebration hosted by you, our marvelous St. Paul friends. During and after last weekend’s events, our families and friends from the past 40 years of ministry could not stop talking about your warmth and hospitality.  On top of that, Carolyn and I are blown away by your generosity and prayerful support – but then, it’s the kind of thing we’ve seen again and again in these thirteen years with you here in Plano. Thank you for your love, your friendship and, above all, your partnership in the Kingdom!

So what happens now? Well, we have a new Pastor to install and introduce to ministry in our community, so take a deep breath and prepare for the next chapter.  Pastor Stace Rollefson will be installed March 2 during a 4:00 p.m. service right here at St. Paul by our LC-MS Texas District Area B Vice-President, Rev. Eloy Gonzalez. As Circuit Counselor, I’ll be involved, too, along with as many of our area pastors as can make it.

Pastor R. is looking for a place to live here while his family finishes the school year in Redding [much the same as Carolyn did when I arrived 13 years ago]. Until he arrives, I’m helping out part-time 20-hrs/wk:  in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, making visits as needed; also preaching on Sundays.

This will continue through January and February. President Hennings has also requested I continue as Circuit Counselor, though that does not affect my time at St. Paul. After Pastor is installed I have already been asked to assist other area congregations with various part-time duties.

To that end, please note: for the first two months of my new pastor’s tenure, Carolyn and I will intentionally give him space so you get to know him. You likely won’t see us in church at St. Paul before Easter, so use that time to greet Pastor, take him to lunch, visit with him and make him as welcome as you have me. Then, when Carolyn and I do return for our once-a-month worship time [remember, I’m Circuit Counselor and also have a daughter/son-in-law who want us to visit with them, too!], we will most happily greet and worship with our wonderful brothers/sisters here.


I look forward to volunteering time in service to our King. Bryan Manges tells me a new Eagle Scout project has two keyhole gardens in the works, and I foresee helpers available for small home repair projects. Dream with me and let’s think of ways we can serve together. After all, this is not the end of the book, but the beginning of a new chapter in Christ!

- Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment